Sunday, June 28, 2009

The 2nd Annual Slumber Party






What can one say when 5 teenage girls descend on your house for an entire evening? IT WAS A BLAST! We ate wayyy too much, watched some scary movies, had a fashion show (compliments of Maria's closet), and finally passed out at 4:30 AM. I was looking around at each of these young, beautiful women as they ran around the condo like crazy people. I watched them as they tried on dresses and criticized their own petite bodies, then looked expectantly at us to be their real mirror. I was moved when I was told by the oldest, Iris, that ,"Of COURSE you will be a madrina at my quincinera!!" (That's like being a bridesmaid at a 15 year old's birthday party, a great honor) I laughed at their excitement at being out of the house for an evening and their protectiveness of each other. I was moved by their compassion for their friends and their great desire to help each other.

Most of all, I observed their issues with self-worth and the lies that they believe about themselves at such a young age. I was able to sit and talk with one of the girls about her options for the future and how her attitude can affect the opportunities she's afforded. I don't think that she realizes how much the younger girls look up to her. She told me after her conversation with me that she wanted to return to LIT (Leaders in Training) when she had previously said she had no interest. I am so excited at how God is revealing his love to His daughters! Hope you enjoy the pictures posted, even though I am still a novice blogger in relation to the picture feature!




No comments: