Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Coming full circle

I am sitting here as the wind is howling outside and inches of snow are accumulating on the buildings around me. It reminds me very distinctly of almost two years ago when I was snowed in at Christmas. I remember that time because I spent a great deal of that winter break praying and trying to discern what God's heart was for Teens Adelante, our teen Bible study. I was watching these children I had known for years grow in leaps and bounds spiritually right before my eyes. But they were stifled as all that we could offer them at that time was an older version of our children's Bible study. I will never forget that one of the teens, Iris, came to me and suggested a Bible study just for them. I remember crying out to God because I knew they needed Him in a different and more relational way.
I prayed for a space that the teens could have all to themselves each week. I prayed for the hearts of the teens to be opened to the power and simplicity of God's word. More then anything, I prayed for volunteers to be raised up to fight alongside me in the battle for the hearts and honestly, the lives, of these amazing young people.
It blows my mind that now, two years later, all of these prayers and more have been answered. I realized how much the lives of the teens had come full circle at our children's Bible study this past Thursday. These same teens that I had once fought with to sing and participate, had stepped up as volunteers, giving their own time, to be leaders to the children. I had to fight back tears many times that night because I was just SO proud of them and so in awe of God's great plans.
I think I forget sometimes that long before I ever knew and loved the teens, God made them. He formed them and set the course of their lives in motion. I have learned during this season of my life to be thankful for the privilege of being part of the journey with them. One of the greatest joys of my life will be watching His teens lead and guide the children of Mission Adelante to pursue Christ just as He has pursued them.

No comments: