Monday, May 9, 2011

Love without Limits: May 2011: What a difference a year makes...

Our 2010-2011 LIT family and a little taste of the cuteness that I get to work with!

I will never forget the first day that I met Lorenzo. He was this little boy with an innocent disposition that you could often find with an angry scowl on his face. It was disconcerting to see so much anger in such a young boy. However, over the past three years, he has continued to come to the Outreach Bible Study, to memorize his verses, and to show these glimmers of spiritual depth in his questions that have helped us to see the leader hiding underneath.

Nevertheless, when the time came to invite the potential candidates for the 2010-2011 Leaders in Training Program, I was hesitant to take a chance on him. Fortunately, I work with an amazing team of volunteers that believed so strongly in Lorenzo’s potential leadership that we prayed and decided to invite him to enter LIT.

Looking back, there was a moment the first day of LIT when Lorenzo’s negative disposition came out. I pulled him aside and firmly explained that the way he was acting was unacceptable. I let him know that I saw the amazing person that he was inside and we wanted that Lorenzo to be part of our LIT family. That moment was so pivotal because from then on, he was a completely different child.

At first, we started to see his playfulness and servant-hearted attitude surface. He shared with me that although there was a large gang population at school and a great deal of pressure to join, he knew it was the wrong choice for him. Then, his mother came to me and shared that he had asked if they could begin praying together as a family before dinner.

The most powerful moment of the year came two weeks ago when Lorenzo shared with me that he was unsure if he had ever accepted Christ into his heart. I led him in prayer and as he opened his heart to the Lord, though my eyes were closed, I could hear the smile in his voice. Lorenzo didn’t need to hide anymore!

Cuba Training Trip

In the past year, Mission Adelante has formed a strong relationship with a sister church in Cuba. As Jarrett and Jason have shared stories with me, I learned about their amazing discipleship program and Christ-centered community. My heart has been burdened for the people of Cuba that undergo persecution and hardship on a daily basis. I am so excited to tell you that I have been invited to go to Cuba this June! During the seven days that we will be in Cuba, we will observe their discipleship model that combines intentional, everyday life with Christ as the focus of their hearts. I hope to learn a great deal about selflessness, fellowship, and service through this incredible blessing! Please pray for our hearts to be unified in Christ and our hands to serve the Lord as we travel June 29-July 5.


Prayer Requests:Prayer Requests

  • Praise the Lord for allowing us to finish our third year of LIT with 100% of the children finishing the year together for the first time!
  • For a safe summer for all the children and teens of our community.
  • Please pray for the Lord to have a powerful impact through our summer interns.

In Him,

Megan

No comments: